Why should you attend Making the Right Moves? And what is Making the Right Moves anyway? All your questions are answered here!
Making the Right Moves (MRM) is MSJDN’s annual professional development conference created specifically for the needs of military spouse attorneys and law students. The first MRM was held in Washington, D.C. in 2013. Members traveled from across the country to take part in the event, which included remarks from General Suter, former Clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court. In 2014 and 2015, MRM hit the road for San Diego and Seattle. Now, after two years back on the East Coast, MRM is headed west again to San Diego on October 19-20th.
MRM is different from other conferences because it is created for military spouse attorneys by military spouse attorneys. Our leadership team works to bring together the best speakers and resources to educate members on topics unique to military spouses in the legal profession. There are plenty of places to find CLE, network, or hang out with military spouses – but not all at once! MRM is a professional development opportunity that helps you build your career path as a military spouse attorney by addressing the unique challenges shared by this group. Working remotely, social media networking, personal branding, and much more are all on the agenda this year! It’s also a wonderful time to connect with your peers who understand the challenges of balancing your legal career with the military lifestyle. There are only 12 seats left – check out the top 5 reasons to attend and then save your seat today!
1. Connect with your tribe. One of the most important benefits of MSJDN is that it allows us to connect and support each other, even though we are scattered around the globe. As awesome as our online forums are, nothing beats that “real life” connection. MRM is the perfect time to mix and mingle with other military spouse JDs face-to-face. Maybe you’ll meet that MSJDNer you’ve been connecting with in the Facebook group! You don’t want to miss the opportunity connect and celebrate with your fellow milspouse attorneys.[Want to come but need help defraying the costs? MSJDN is offering a limited number of scholarships including a ticket and a $150 stipend for travel, hotel, childcare, etc. Apply here.]
2. Invest in your career. We know – taking the day off or traveling to a conference can be tough. And expensive, especially if you are between jobs or balancing all those state bar dues! Consider it an investment in your future – you and your career are worth it. You can request CLE credits in many states, but it’s not just about the credits. MRM is the only legal conference designed specifically for military spouses. The panels are created to address issues frequently raised by MSJDN members in our forums. How do I brand myself when I’m constanting relocating? How do I make professional contacts online? How do I negotiate my salary when I’ve been underemployed? Check out the full agenda here. You’ll also have the opportunity for free resumè review, career coaching, and LinkedIn photos. Use MRM as an opportunity to think meaningfully about your career path and build your toolkit to move forward successfully.
3. Leverage the Network. MRM provides excellent networking opportunities, with MSJDN members and supporters alike. Connect with panelists, including ABA Law Practice Division Chair Katy Goshtasbi and MSJDN members working at USAA, Prudential, and Ogletree Deakins. Networking has paid off for attendees in the past who are now employed thanks to connections made during MRM. Don’t be shy – bring your business cards and get busy building your professional network!
4. Get inspired! The frequent relocations, multiple bar exams, the job search on repeat – it is a grind. Add in solo parenting and a last minute change to your spouse’s work schedule – milspouse attorney life is bonkers! Sometimes we get so bogged down in our daily routines that we only focus what’s in front of us and forget why we started down this path in the first place. It’s an honor to support our spouses and significant others in their service to this country, even when that makes our career paths an uphill journey. MRM is the perfect time to recharge your career batteries and celebrate being part of the incredible military family community. Come connect with other like-minded military spouses and learn from those who have successfully balanced their careers with the military lifestyle.
5. Soak in the San Diego sun. MRM is a great excuse to visit California. Bring the family for stops at Seaworld and Legoland. Or come solo and enjoy great food, shopping, and sights. Take a tour of San Diego Bay, check out Little Italy, and don’t miss all the amazing Mexican food. There’s plenty to keep you busy outside of the conference. Just be sure to leave time for the post-MRM happy hour!